A Call to Action. But Where Was the Action Plan?


by Sylvester Brown, Jr.

Guest panelists for the "Calling All Black Men to Action" town hall forum at Harris Stowe State University

“Um, hm. Watch Out Now! That’s the Truth! Preach!”

This was just a slice of the call & response, church-like atmosphere during the townhall event hosted at Harris Stowe State University yesterday. Billed as a meeting aimed at “Calling All Black Men to Action” the event was certainly inspiring, emotional and engaging.  I was drawn by the mere suggestion of “action” from young, black politicians, academics and men representing nonprofits that serve disadvantaged youth. As the founder of the Sweet Potato Project (SPP) and someone who’s been working with young people for the past eight years, my appetite was primed by the promise of a strategic plan that would empower this demographic.


My excitement mounted. As I entered, Dwayne Smith, Interim President of Harris-Stowe, was welcoming the audience. The 130-year-old institution is dedicated to addressing pertinent issues the panelists were about to discuss, Smith promised. Soon after, Darren Seals, founder of Sankofa, asked the youth he had mentored to stand up. At least 10 young men a couple rows in front of me and more behind all rose to their feet. I was anticipating the announcement of an effort to recruit some of those students into Harris Stowe’s urban agriculture program. The new program offers a bachelor's degree in Sustainability and Urban Ecology that concentrates on computation, physics, chemistry, biology, environmental issues and more.

Audience members at the "Calling All Black Men to Action" town hall event Jan. 25, 2020

I was furthered convinced the speakers were headed in this direction when the panelists were asked “how do we get the youth involved?” Ald. Brandon Bosley (D-3rd Ward) spoke to my passions: “We need to shake things up,
do things differently. There’s no reason our kids should be hungry. We need to pay them to grow their own food.”
“Yes! Alright now! They’re about to present the plan,” I thought.
But the questions and answers shifted into the “what’s wrong with black people” category. Responses ranged from gun violence, no male role models, the danger inherent in rap and hip-hop music, decline of morals and values, fear and ignorance, self-hatred, the prison culture, the dominance of social media, etc., etc.
The audience responded exuberantly though: 
“Um, hm. That’s the Truth! Preach!”
I get it. The panelists eloquently spoke to issues that contribute to the chaos rampant in poor neighborhoods. The audience seemed fulfilled by their colorful and down-to-earth descriptions of what’s plaguing our young people and our streets. But I was still thirsty for the plan to address those issues.
That’s when I had to check myself. It’s easy to throw shade on this generation of young, black activists, social workers and politicians. Just because I’m old, tainted and have heard “the problems” for decades doesn’t mean young people won’t be moved into action by deft assessments and passionate articulation of our current political, social and economic affairs.
Just because I can plainly see the power and potential of the panelists and the nonprofits they represent; just because I saw a potential “action plan” based on the collaboration of the individuals on stage with a historic HBCU, doesn’t make it so. Maybe, just maybe, it’s my role and that of other older players like me to try to help connect the dots and find resources to fund the potential I saw.

(left to right) Ald. John Muhammad, Ald Brandon Bosley and Darren Seals/Sankofa Ministries 

Last year, SPP worked with Grace Hill Settlement House to award two vacant lots to a young St. Louis mother. My goal this year is to raise money and partner with Gateway Greening and other nonprofits to help her and others become landowners and grow food. Our effort was started in the College Hill Neighborhood. Both panelists, Ald. Bosley and Ald. John Muhammad's (D-21st) wards include parts of College Hill. At the very least, I should reach out to those brothers to see if we can find city resources and our expand efforts, maybe even recruit some of those mentored young people who stood during the event.
The program had already started when I arrived. I didn't hear what other speakers like Michael McMillan, CEO of the Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis, the event's sponsor, had to say. Maybe he or they outlined a plan and I missed it.
But even if they didn't, maybe that's OK, too. Just because I didn’t hear a concrete call to action doesn’t mean a plan is not in the works. Perhaps, my role is to work harder to be a part of a soon-to-be announced plan with the potential to embolden and empower younger, more ambitious people.
“I’m tired of talking. Talk, talk, talk,” motivational speaker Karan Bolden told the audience. “Remember, the Bible says, faith without works is dead,” he added.
The keynote speaker made a good point. Outlining the problems is a good thing but we desperately need action. I am inspired by young people, young political leaders and community activists and I hope you are, too. Therefore, if we truly have faith in their passions and potential, maybe we should humbly force ourselves to become active participants and stewards of  their endeavors.
That, I believe, is a plan worth pursuing.
“Um, hm. Watch Out Now! That’s the Truth!”


************************


Sylvester Brown, Jr. is a former columnist for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, founder of the Sweet Potato Project, an entrepreneurial program for urban youth and author of  “When We Listen: Recognizing the Potential of Urban Youth.”



Comments