Help an Old Dreamer Make Sense of Another Dream



This commentary goes out to those who know me and have followed me through the years. I need your help. You see, my greatest strength is also my greatest weakness. If I’m passionate about something, if I think I have a solution to an urgent need...Damnit, I’ll just up and try to do something about it. I started a magazine in the late 1980s because I thought the region needed a black Riverfront Times. In 2010, I tried to create a massive Internet data base so blacks could easily tap into government funds and grants to improve communities. Two years later, I founded the Sweet Potato Project because President Obama announced that he was directing federal funds to help rebuild metropolitan areas through agriculture initiatives. I thought a program that teaches kids how to grow food and become entrepreneurs in their own neighborhoods was desperately needed.
My friends and supporters know I’ve spent my adult life creating, struggling, failing and maintaining those concepts. No complaints. It’s been an incredible journey shared with benevolent and like-minded people. The most rewarding part for me has been gaining access to the minds, hearts and potential of urban youth, hence the title of my book, “When We Listen: Recognizing the Potential of Urban Youth.”
This Saturday (Feb. 8th) starting at 3 pm, I’ll be making a presentation at Afro World Hair & fashion about a new concept, “Own-a-Lot/Own the Block.” You see, I’m antsy again. I feel that poverty, crime, death and hopelessness is killing black communities and robbing young people of their inherent potential. And I want to do something about it.


New developments like the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), will no doubt follow the predictable path of gutting “undesirable” neighborhoods, displacing residents and replacing them with gentrified neighborhoods and newer more “desirable” populations. Nary a thought will be given to transforming disadvantaged lives or reinvigorating the neighborhoods that have purposely gone fallow.

New developments like the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), will no doubt follow the predictable path of gutting “undesirable” neighborhoods, displacing residents and replacing them with gentrified neighborhoods and newer more “desirable” populations. 

For the past 50 years, at least, local politicians and city leaders have happily provided tax-payer resources to majority white, already stable neighborhoods and gifted millions upon millions to already rich developers. Yet, when it comes to black people and black neighborhoods, these same leaders (black and white) seem to only offer stale, outdated solutions; more police, tougher laws, job-training for youth and efforts to help them merge into corporate America.
These efforts have merit, but it irks me that none seem to center around solutions that will enable black people to help themselves, their children or empower them to create jobs and revitalize blocks in their own neighborhoods.
Here’s the rub: We have everything we need to do this, now. I touched on this last week. The necessary community entities are already doing the hard work...just not together. Secondly, narrow-minded, visionless politicians tethered to the rich are reluctant to draft legislation that can provide funding for a collective grassroots movement that can spark sustainable, positive change in majority black areas. It's easy to punish the poor for being poor.
This crazy idea of owning our own land and rebuilding our own communities isn’t mine. It’s been emphasized by athletes like Marshawn Lynch, lyricized by Jay-Z, T.I., Queen Latifa, Nipsy Hustle and Akon.  It’s been proselytized by icons like Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammad, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Minister Louis Farrakhan and other black leaders who preach controlling our lives and destinies.
The “Own-a-Lot/Own the Block” proposal is based on community investment and nonprofit collaboration. Agencies like Better Family Life, the Urban League, Gateway Greening, Good Life Growing, Inc. and the Sweet Potato Project (SPP) already have affordable housing, youth empowerment, urban entrepreneurism and agricultural programs. Harris Stowe State College (HSSU) offers an urban agriculture program where young people can earn a bachelor's degree in Sustainability and Urban Ecology. St. Louis has a plethora of abandoned land and buildings. Alderman have already passed a $1 home buying initiative. Everything and everybody is already in place.
New York University Professor Patrick Sharkey is among scholars who argue that the community investment model-investing in nonprofits as opposed to overinvestment in the criminal justice "punishment" model-is more effective in reducing crime and improving lives in disadvantaged neighborhoods.
What if all these organizations and their initiatives were combined under one umbrella? What if we kicked off a savvy, culturally relevant campaign aimed at challenging and empowering young people to use their inherent gifts in their own communities? What if this collective demand that city leaders provide the same kinds of resources to this grassroots movement as they do to rich developers and majority white neighborhoods?

What if we kicked off a savvy, culturally relevant campaign aimed at challenging and empowering young people to use their inherent gifts in their own communities? 

Last year, SPP secured two vacant lots through Grace Hill Settlement House in the College Hill Neighborhood. Those lots were gifted to a young mother, Tara Blanchard, who plans to grow food on her land. I then reached out to Gateway Greening to serve as the resource agency for Tara and other new landowners. Our 2020 goal is to work with more nonprofits and gift more land to individuals to establish a model that may inspire city leaders to expand, fund and replicate the effort.


The Sweet Potato Project awarded Tara Blanchard (pictured above with fiancé, Raymond Hawkins) two vacant lots in the College Hill neighborhood to grow food this year.
I’m hoping you can help this naïve optimist. In my mind, stipends to help young people and city residents own and transform vacant lots into food-producing land is a no-brainer. I see this demographic benefiting from economic incentives to own and rehab abandoned buildings. I see a program that trains and employs at-risk youth to rebuild houses. Empowering burgeoning entrepreneurs through the “Own-the-Block” part of this movement can easily compliment the NGA’s expansion plans. Imagine their 3,000-plus employees shopping at diverse and eclectic businesses, enjoying art and cultural spaces and dining at neighborhood eateries just north of downtown St. Louis.

Empowering burgeoning entrepreneurs through the “Own-the-Block” part of this movement can easily compliment the NGA’s expansion.

The Beloved Streets of America's initiative to revitalize MLK Blvd. could coincide within the NGA imprint. I’m inviting its founder Melvin White to join me on Saturday. I’d like Orlando Watson, owner of Prime 55 Restaurant and local concert promoter to help bring local and national hip-hop artists into the fold. I can already hear the music and lyrics, see the billboards, T-shirts, bumper stickers, lawn signs all promoting the “OWN-A-LOT/ OWN THE-BLOCK” narrative. I’m silly enough to believe St. Louis can advance a national template for innovative, robust, sustainable, positive inner-city change.      
Is this an outlandish proposal? Not in my imagination. That’s why I’m inviting local politicians, nonprofit directors and you to help me figure this out. If Saturday’s event goes well, perhaps we’ll take it to another level at a larger venue. What I don’t want is to get trapped in “talk, talk, talk” mode. I’m old. I’m impatient. I want action...NOW!
Please join me this weekend and help an old dreamer make sense of another dream.


************************


Sylvester Brown, Jr. is a former columnist for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, founder of the Sweet Potato Project, an entrepreneurial program for urban youth and author of  “When We Listen: Recognizing the Potential of Urban Youth.”






Comments