Beyoncé’s anthem offers "Freedom" for the Bone-Tired

 

By Sylvester Brown, Jr.

Aren't you tired?

I know I am. I’m tired. Bone-tired of the ignorance, the backward thinking, the lies, the hate and the reignited racism in the freakin’ 21st Century.

I’m so done with the stereotyping of Blacks, Jews, women, soldiers and immigrants as criminals, as “dumb,” as stupid, as worthless and as wanton murderers.  

 I’m sick and tired of listening to angry white parents at school board meetings attempting to beat up on the LGBTQ+ community, erase black history, ban books or rid classrooms of a “theory” that was never ever taught in the nation’s classrooms.

How did we evolve (or devolve) into a country where Nicholas Fuentes, a white supremacist, was invited to dinner with the leading GOP presidential candidate who-by the way-thinks Nazi-loving, white nationalists are “very fine people?”

It saps my soul that my granddaughters must endure similar indignities of their grandfather, his father and their long-gone ancestors.

Perhaps this is why Beyoncé’s 2016 anthem "Freedom" adopted during Vice President Kamala Harris’ first public appearance as a presidential candidate resonated with me and so many other sick and tired Americans.

The song, which was used as a battle cry during demonstrations following the 2020 death of George Floyd, evokes the spirit of confrontation against the unacceptable.

Freedom, Freedom
I can't move
Freedom, cut me loose
Singin', freedom
Freedom
Where are you?
'Cause I need freedom, too…

Like Bob Marley’s “Redemption Song,” Beyoncé provides a needed reminder that winners “don’t quit on themselves…” No matter the odds, we gotta keep fighting…fighting for normalcy, for decency…for my granddaughters.   

With Beyoncé’s permission, the Harris/Walz campaign has a theme song that captures the desires, hope and wishes of-not just democrats-but a helluva lot of “others.”

Try for me, live for me
Breathe for me, sing for me
Honestly guidin' me
I could be more than I gotta be
Stole from me, lied to me, nation hypocrisy
Code on me, drive on me
Wicked, my spirit inspired me…

As a “glass-half-full” kinda guy, I like to believe there are millions of “sick-and-tired” voters who are thirsting for a commonsense message that unifies beyond partisan politics. I like to think there are conservatives who realize their party-under Donald Trump’s populist spell-has gone off the deep end.  I want to believe that they, too, want freedom.

What you want from me?
Is it truth you seek?
Oh, Father, can you hear me?
Hear me out…

Yeah, I’m jaded but I hold out hope that a sizable segment of the Republican Party are not down with a 2025 manifesto that condones workplace discrimination, dismantles the nation’s education department; allows drug prices to skyrocket; that limits individual freedoms while giving corporate interests free rein over the economy and our future.

Yeah, I’m tired…bone tired but I can’t be alone. I can’t be the only one…

Singin', freedom
Freedom
Where are you?

 

Comments