Reflections on Mortality and Change


By Sylvester Brown, Jr.

As a boy, I knew, without a doubt, that I’d be dead at the age of nineteen.

My feelings had nothing to do with my impoverished, crime-filled chaotic, life. It was because my mother and the adults of our religion, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, all believed that the world was going to end in 1975.
Surely God knew my “impure” thoughts. I knew I wasn’t going to make the cut when vengeful Jesus and the four horsemen of the apocalypse came to, as prophesied, wipe the wicked from the earth. As I knocked on doors preaching salvation; as I participated in religious meetings five days a week, my teenage mind was mostly consumed with S.E.X. In brief, I was one of the “wicked.”
  After 1975, when the world remained the same, I hadn’t. I had already dropped out of high school, had my own car, my second apartment, 4th job and had basically “lost my religion.” To this day, I am respectful but skeptical of any individual or organization that professes to “speak for God.”
***

  Why am I writing about my ancient history? Well, at 62, I’ve been questioning my mortality-what I’ve done in life and what I think I can do before I slip off to the great unknown. I’m not seriously ill, I don’t think I am anyway. But as the old saying goes: “life is promised to no one.” Lately, I’ve been taking inventory of who I am, what I do and trying to make sure that the next 10 or 20 years are spent doing what I truly love: writing, communicating, sharing stories.
As many of you know, I’ve been operating the Sweet Potato Project (SPP) for the past eight years. It’s an extremely rewarding endeavor, but it’s outgrown me. It needs a better parent, someone or something that can give it the expertise and resources to reach its full potential. The idea of teaching kids to learn entrepreneurial skills through growing and selling fresh food and products, to start neighborhood businesses and reclaim disadvantaged neighborhoods is still valid and worthwhile. But it needs to be backed by a movement of motivated black people who believe they can accomplish the goals of self-sufficiency and community responsibility. This is not a new idea. It was preached by Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammad, Malcom X, Martin Luther King, Jr. and many others.
This past year, I’ve met with the heads of religious, educational and community organizations trying to convince them into bringing SPP under their wings. I’m still operating the program, particularly the land-ownership part of it. Through an agreement with Grace Hill Settlement House, we have a few vacant lots available in the College Hill Neighborhood. I’ve joined its “Peace Park” initiative where Grace Hill and Washington University have launched a community-led effort to renovate areas surrounding the North Grand Water Tower. Before the year is out, I am committed to giving a few promising young people or a youth group vacant lots with a donation to help them prepare the land for food growth.
***
Going back to the start of this commentary, this shift in my focus with my nonprofit reflects the life I’ve led. Once I survived Armageddon, I adopted a sort of “Just Do It” attitude long before Nike patented the phrase. In 1987, after books and reading rescued me, I followed through on my desire to make sure no person who looked like me would be as ignorant as I was about my people, my history or the events shaping my world. So, I started my own publication, Take Five Magazine. If not for it, I would not have been hired as a columnist for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.  If not for the P.D., Tavis Smiley wouldn’t have hired me to work with him and other authors of his book company, Smiley Books. If not for being in the environment of some of the nation’s most prestigious “black thinkers”-Smiley, Dr. Cornel West, Minister Louis Farrakhan, Tom Burrell, Al Sharpton and others, I wouldn’t have been inspired to start a program aimed at investing in our youth and salvaging poor neighborhoods.


In summary, everything in my life, “good and bad,” happened for a reason. My “Just Do It” philosophy has its ups and downs though. During its 15-year duration, Take Five never made any real money. What it did was win a lot of awards and bring a cadre of gifted writers, editors and loyal readers into my world. Most important, it allowed me to learn how to write on my terms.
When the Post tried to concoct a reason to fire me in 2009, I held a press conference and resigned. I told union officials not to fight to get a job back that I no longer wanted.  It was a pride thing. But it cost me dearly. Working for Tavis was cool but I wasn’t getting the kind of money I did at the newspaper. I lost everything, new cars, benefits, my house and, eventually, my marriage crumbled.


2009 Press conference where I announced my resignation from the Post-Dispatch

I’ve spent the past decade rebuilding my life. I’m at a meager but comfortable place. I know I am loved and I give love in return. Who can ask for more?
SPP, however, has become a burden. When I started the program in 2012, my goal was to simply educate kids while paying them a summer salary. That worked out fine until 2016 after I incorporated the project, created a board and recruited a competent volunteer CPA. She alerted us that we had not been paying payroll taxes for the students. We started paying those taxes but, unfortunately, penalties and fines had added up and the IRS had no sympathy for our nonprofit, no matter how noble our cause. It came after us...hard!
Some of the students of the 2012 Sweet Potato project class
It’s funny, when people read or you tell them that you have IRS issues, they give you that sympathetic, terminal cancer patient look and write you off.  Maybe I’m naive but I don’t see the problem as insurmountable. IRS agents will work with you to resolve the issue. And that’s what happened. We’re almost caught up on all our taxes and prepared to make an “offer of compromise” on the remaining debt.
Still, the entire process has sucked the fun out this endeavor for me. I just want to hang out with young people, motivate and empower them. My “strengths” do not include administration, fundraising or delegation. The Sweet Potato Project would be better suited under the umbrella of a larger organization with the people and resources to take it to its designated place.
My friends at Good Life Growing and Gateway Greening have perfected the art of teaching people the best way to grow and market food. My energies will remain focused on empowering people through land-ownership and working to make sure food is a self-sustaining economic engine in North St. Louis. 
So, coming full circle, I’m again at a point of change. Early this year, I self-published my first book, “When We Listen.” While restructuring SPP, I managed to complete my first fiction novel. There are a good six or seven books left in me. Apparently, I still have a lot to say, write and share.  I will always be the visionary behind SPP and I still plan to be its spokesman, point person and, hopefully, play some role in its long-term mission under new leadership.
***
In summary, every challenge in my life came with the promise of renewal and the wonderful opportunity to craft my own destiny. Nothing I’ve done happened without the kind, benevolent and like-minded people who believed in me. You have diligently supported this twisty, curvy, strange but blessed journey.  
The kid who didn’t believe he’d outlive his teens is still here. He cherishes the fact that misinformation, poverty, career challenges and personal setbacks molded him into who and what he is today.
For this and more, in this next unknown phase of life, I am eternally optimistic, humbly grateful and blessed beyond my youthful imagination.

************************


Sylvester Brown, Jr. is a former columnist for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, founder of the Sweet Potato Project, an entrepreneurial program for urban youth and author of  “When We Listen: Recognizing the Potential of Urban Youth.”
  



Comments